Sunday 1 September 2013

6 sleeps!


6 sleeps the race director reminds us on Facebook today...and have you read your pre-race briefing pack.....have you got everything on the kit list (yes, including the anti-bear spray), have you seen the forecast of overnight lows of minus 3 degrees.....(and aside from that, can you get all the work you need to do this week done before stuffing the car to the roof on Friday night ready to whoosh up to Aviemore first thing Saturday in time for the pre-race briefing.....).   EEEEEK! My head is pickled with the hundreds of thoughts spiraling round and round! Pass me another paracetamol!  And as for the chances of actually getting 6 sleeps......

As I read the race report blogs from last year, I'm excited to be part of this crazy adventure....and then I pause for a minute and think "what? me? 24 hours? of laps around Glenmore forest?"...what am I thinking??!!



Well girl, reality check time....it's all part of the master plan....*insert wicked laugh*......and this year, so far, the plan has gone pretty well!  Furthest run ever at the Fling, Marathon PB at Strathearn, massive PB at the Devil.  Job done!  I said from the outset I wanted to be targeted on specific events, and I've tried not to deviate too far from that.

Photo from glenmore24.com


I'm not sure I've given a massive amount of thought into training specifically for the 24 hour race...more hoping that the consistency I've had this year and my guts and determination, combined with what sounds like an awesome level of support will get me round!


What I'm most worried about is sleep!  Or lack of!  I never feel I get as good a sleep as I should, and am a nightmare when sleep deprived - take this week for example...a late night/early morning mid-week and a late-ish night last night with a long-ish lie and I'm like a burst ball today (blaming it on taperitis and THE FEAR!).  I think I've tapered to extremes this week though and will remedy that with a 6:20am "blast" on Killer Hill with Bob and the dogs!


from sleepzine.com
Best I have a word with the wonder that is Support Husband before next weekend.....sleep deprivation = irritability, impaired moral judgement (?!) and obesity!  Interestingly, for the vertically challenged among us "Growth Suppression".....'nuff said!

So...back to the kit list writing and mental packing....!  This time next week I hope to be enjoying the start of my holiday week in the company and story-telling of fellow 12 and 24 hour runners, with our awesome support crews and friends in one of Aviemore's finest hostelry's...maybe with a wee beer or two....




2 comments: