Thursday 19 June 2014

The A Team....there is no plan B!


'Twas the night before Christmas....or something else equally exciting!  The sleepless nights have set in, thankfully later than expected.  The 'nerves' have arrived, with dodgy tummy, gimpy knees and sore throats....ahhhh, the joys of taperitis!



But I'm still fine.  Calm like Buddha.  And with a belly to match.  Tapering and stress induced (that's my excuse, right?!) munching don't a svelte runner make!  But that wee pouch will see me merrily along my 95 mile journey this weekend!

The bags and boxes are not yet packed.  In reality, I'm not allowed to pack them, since it won't be me that's looking out the vital supplies and kit at each touchpoint.  That's the domain of the crew - my crazy but committed band of infallible support.

So "who are they" are hear you cry??

I have, in all honesty, recruited myself a massive crew!  There's logic behind it...I think...and only time will tell if they all fall out with each other, with me, or with themselves over the next 4 days...

 The Organised One

Sarah has crewing experience, having been on John Munro's team last year.  I asked Sarah to be on my team as I've no doubt she'll know where everything is, will keep a note of timings, feelings and what I've consumed, as well as remembering to check me in/out and weigh in, without losing anything!  Give her enough tea, and I know she's got the staying power to last the weekend!


The Calm One

David is one of those folk that don't come along in life very often.  He's just lovely.  David's role is to keep me calm, and full of self-belief, as well as be one of my runners, with the section from BOO to Glencoe. I can't wait to catch up with all his news, as it's been a while since we've had a good blether.  I know from training runs with David that he'll make sure I'm doing everything I should to get to the end, and he'll not get impatient with my gibbering.
I've got runners planned on every section from half-way, as there's no danger I'll not be allowed them.  I'm looking forward to their differing influences and entertaining chat along the way.



The One Most Likely to Get Emotional

Apart from me, I'd place the odds on (Ultra) Bob being the one most likely to cry.  Bob's role is to get me from Glencoe to KLL in one piece.  I suspect this might be a tough gig.  Especially if this heat keeps up.  He may be able to motivate me with one of his infamous cheese pasties......




The Chatty One

Angela has the important role of being my first support runner from Auchtertyre.  I'm looking forward to a big hug, and some entertaining chattering to melt away the miles to Bridge of Orchy.....if she's there on time......








The Experienced MTFU One

John completed the WHW race last year, and is the only one of my crew who has any idea what kind of hell running this could be. John's role, aside from getting revenge on me for telling him to MTFU and quit whinging when he complained of sore calves at BOO last year, is to protect me from the witches and hob-goblins in the forests at Lundavra...and get me all the way from KLL to FW, most likely in the dark!

 The One Who Makes it All Possible

I've said a lot before about Clark and how his support, patience and realism make all this happen.  I'm not going to get all gushy tonight...there's enough tears brewing without that.

I've made it this far, yes, because I've done the training, but also because the support has been there all along, and unquestioning, to enable that to happen.

Clark has multiple roles this weekend - and primarily to hold everything together with the crew, and me.  The original plan would have been that he would run with me, probably the last section, and into the finish.  Currently awaiting the outcome of this week's MRI, and likely to be in need of further back surgery, that's not going to happen.  But I know he'll be there every step of the way...and I suspect there may be tears from him too.....

And the 'spare seat on the bus'

Cori the dog will be in attendance...No, he won't be running, but he'll be there, counting the chocolates, and looking for left-overs!




And there we have it.  A great crew, a determined outlook, and more food than the whole race is likely to need (even with me having sampled several items today).  And I know there's going to be many many other friends out there on the trail, or somewhere along the way, and I can't wait to see them all!

Better go stare at some of the piles of food and clothing now....just to be sure!



1 comment:

  1. Looks like you have a stella crew so you are in safe hands. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete