Monday 1 September 2014

The box of frogs, the cow bell and the horn

Kinda like 'The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe' but far less comprehensible...

The box of frogs represents how I've been feeling....maybe it's taperitis, maybe it's lurgy...I'm siding with the latter for now...

Since Friday I've been feeling wobbly, a bit shaky and nauseous.  It's a bit better today. Not ideal when it's 5 sleeps (4 if you discount Friday night in a tent in the middle of a pirate party....).  These things are sent to test us though, and get on with it I will.

I think there's still an element of rehab in how I'm feeling too.  I'm not sure race/rest/race/rest is the best plan for me (see previous blogs for bleating on about eating for Britain in the down-time and still not getting the head back into shifting my post-WHW blubber).  I'd just got that spark back last Monday and was dancing about in the land of motivation and training. Pah!

I tried a wee run on Saturday, slow, shuffly, and was ok until anytime I stopped moving, and the shakes resumed.  Hey ho, afternoon on the sofa and a cancelled night out.  Sad times.  

A wee cold water dip on Sunday morning as it was like summer was back.  You can't really call it swimming yet...more just testing the water. Loch Chon was beautiful though...until the midge fest started!  My logic was that the cold water would attack the germs!

I've also been testing some new immunity supplements - Curranz - 100% New Zealand Blackcurrants.  Normal folk should take one a day...athletes 2 before exercise....There's not been much exercise but I'm opting for taking two a day, just to be sure.... Let's see if they can prop me back up!

The cow bell represents the inspiration I've had this last week, following tales of friends and legends as they take on the races making up the UTMB series.  Theirs are not my story to tell, so I won't...but WOW...epic views, epic running and epic guts from all, whether they made it to the finish line or not.

I've thrown it out there...I'd love to be there next year, if I can get fit enough (surely that's within the realms of possibility..or was this year a fluke?), and I've already asked for the time off work!

Ada...the angel with the horn
And The Horn.  This weekend coming sees the final of this year's big aims.  My second stab at Glenmore 24 - the delight that is an event of multiple 4 mile laps around one of my favouritist places for the small matter of 24 hours.

This year, I'm aiming for 'the horn'.  That special moment that signifies you've hit the 100 mile mark.  100 miles!  Holy moly!!

Last year, I did just short of 95 miles...with an aim of 80, and a wee lie down in the wee small hours of the darkness.  It's 'easy' to look back now and say 'what if' and 'why'.  At the time, I know I needed that lie down.  This year, I'm hoping I don't.  Hoping that the mind overcomes the body and keeps me motoring (in a slow dignified shuffly kind of way) right through until the goal is reached.  We'll see...I'm broadly siding with the positive....

It's been a big old year, not to be sneezed at.  Massive achievements and there needs to be time to reflect.  Lots has been learned, and next year's plan adapted accordingly.  There are some niggles and areas to address over the winter.  But for now, Glenmore, I'm coming to get ya!









2 comments:

  1. Just to clarify, I'm not thinking of the full utmb! I'm not that fit/mad/ready...not next year....!!

    ReplyDelete