Sunday 22 February 2015

All By Myself


Clark and I realised in almost perfect synchronicity this weekend that I've been doing an awful lot of my running by myself so far this year...and I think that needs to change!  Alone, that is, usually apart from Cori dog!

Mostly it's a convenience/time-factor thing...or maybe a bit of commitment/fear some weeks too.  I've been pretty busy during the week (as I've probably bored everyone saying) and I've found it hard to make concrete plans for the weekends.  And on those group runs I have been on, I'm conscious I've mostly been a back marker, in some instances perhaps holding people back.  I've not set out to be anti-social, but feel a little this weekend like maybe I have been!

 I was thinking on Saturday during my long run that perhaps I was getting a little bored with my own company.....and was running out of mindless chat with the dog.  And that I think is when you feel the long miles the most, when there's nothing to break it up, when you've 'solved' all the problems you wanted to in your head and thought all the thoughts you have.  When I'm out without Cori, like on the second part of today's run, I listen to music or the WHW podcasts...when I'm with Cori I tend not to...and his patter isn't always that good....

So enough of that, and all systems go for next weekend and the Fling/Glee run on Saturday (but not staying over - oops), and looking forward to some company to get the miles in. 

A wee update on progress this week - it's been an odd one....I wasn't really feeling like I'd done much this week, and mentally had to kick into touch some negative thoughts that I wasn't where I should be at this point (the WHW is still on my mind pretty much 24/7).  However, sitting back now and checking the stats, I've just done my biggest mileage week of the year with 46 miles, 5,000ft of climb, and a decent back-to-back weekend with a 22 and a 12.  My biggest mileage week in fact since the fateful Glenmore 24 (12.5) in September!  And that's off the back of DOMS from my gym session on Sunday that pretty much lasted until Friday! So, not too shabby at all really.

Loch Ard run - Inversnaid post
A tale of two halves this weekend.  Saturday I went to an old favourite (which I'd forgotten how hilly it was) at Loch Ard.  A place where the sign-posts like to constantly remind you of the WHW with Inversnaid pointed out at many a junction!

The forecast was sunny and blue, and while that didn't hold out (windy, snow showers, sun...bit of everything), it was a decent run with some lovely views.  I didn't feel I quite got the pacing right (looking back, I was probably doing the 'running' bits a little too fast and making the heart rate fluctuate a bit much) but I did get the nutrition and hydration better than of later.  Fuelled by tattie scones and chicken fridge raiders...supplemented by Gu Espresso Love and a wee bit of Chia Charge bar!

Loch Ard run - views to Ben Lomond
The forestry commission have closed off quite a few of the routes....I didn't let that stop me....can't beat 2 miles of churned up mudfest  after clambering over the closure fence to get you smiling at the start of your day!  The route is all on decent landrover track, mostly hard packed, and there was only a wee bit of snow at the top of the 'big hill' at mile 11.

Today, a totally different picture (with no pictures!).  A jaunt up 'killer hill' with Cori, and Clark (the latter on his mtb), followed by 8 miles of headwinds and blizzard.  The legs felt pretty good...the only times I had to stop were when the snow daggers stabbed me in the eyeballs and I went temporarily blind!  Head down and headphones on, catching up on a couple of podcasts - the end of the one with Johnny Fling, and then Alan/Rick and Annette.  Great to hear people in a similar situation to me this time last year and listen to their differing thoughts and plans and aspirations for this year's race.

Ready for another good week of training, and hopefully some social miles on Saturday...I'd like to get a 30 in.  Here's hoping someone else does too!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment