Sunday 31 January 2016

Perception and reality

I thought I'd had a pretty decent January...and I think I probably shouldn't discredit what I've done....I only felt bad when I compared it to last January and I'm about 20 miles and a few hundred meters of climb short.

However, I should try and hang onto the positive vibes I did have and believe that my perception is the reality!

So the stats look a little like (an extra week of 'work'!):
Running = 131 miles and 5,700m of ascent (28.5 hours)
Strength & Conditioning = 7 sessions (4.5 hours)
Versaclimber = 8 sessions and 12,000 ft of climb (2 hours)
Pilates = 2 sessions

I focused more on my eating for most of the month (have relapsed this week somewhat), and was seeing the benefits of that with a decent early weight loss (Christmas holidays have a lot to be accountable for), and decrease in body fat percentage.

The plan for 2016 was thrown into disarray also mid-month, with the disappointing news that I had failed to get through the ballot for this year's CCC revenge run in Chamonix.  And while I am totally gutted about this, as it means some plans for this year and next will need re-thought, it also gives me a chance to focus on some different events this year.

The plans so far include:

- Forfar Multi-terrain half marathon
- Glentress Marathon
- D33
- Highland Fling
- Strathearn Marathon
- Great Glen Ultra
- Devil O' the Highlands (where my ultra running began)

And some 'payback' being crew at WHW for John Munro who helped me across Lairig on my first completion.

And a few ideas on some other events, depending how the next month or so goes....

Finished the month with a smashing weekend at the WHW training weekend at Balmaha this weekend.  I got a decent 20 miler under my belt and a good 30 minutes faster than the same route last year.  Great to catch up with everyone and share a (few) vinos, pizza, gin, malts, stories over a night in the pub.  Definitely a must do on the annual calendar now!

1 comment: