Friday 20 October 2017

Time Warp!


It’s just a jump to the left……..and then a step to riiiiiiiight….

It’s now 7 weeks since race day and I’ve run about 20 miles.   Interesting…..  I haven’t actually felt much like running which is weirder than a weird thing, and in all honesty haven’t done a whole heap of anything else.  My body is telling me a thing or two.  And I’m listening.

Physically nothing was ‘broken’ by the race.  The fatigue was pretty immense and I think it’s still lingering.  I took the rest of the week after Chamonix to potter around, a few days up on the Moray Coast with Clark having some #vanlife.  And then back to work.  This was good and bad in equal measure and allowed me to process some more thoughts about the race as I relived my tale through the questions and congratulations from colleagues. 

I stopped saying so many bad words and allowed myself some more realisation and kudos for what I had achieved. 

I’ve allowed myself to be harsh about the frustrating race weather, but accepting that I’d trained a lot in rain and bog, so actually this could have been a blessing. 

I’ve allowed myself to acknowledge the points I may have quit, and then to respect myself for carrying on.

I’ve allowed myself to stop saying never again, and started adjusting the longer term plans with ‘what ifs’ and ‘maybe I could’.

I’ve watched friends who ran at Chamonix continue to train, some to race, and I’ve tempered my self-doubting by accepting I don’t need or want to train yet.

And I’ve done an increasing handful of yoga classes, and noticed the impact of these on the post-race me, and appreciated the signs this has given me about how my recovery is going.

I also treated myself to a yoga weekend retreat with Heat Fitness which was heavenly, and I hope to be able to do something similar again next year.  I was inspired to stop eating so much crap, and managed to detox with no caffeine, booze, added sugar and lots of healthy veggie meals all weekend (thanks Jules!).  Some of these things I am trying to keep going!

This week was going to be the week I gave myself a boot up the ass……I so now however have man-flu.  And had another work trip.  I’ve been away every week of the last 7.  That’s the job, and it’s great to be getting out to see customers and do what I do, but the travelling does impact on health and time and general ability to eat well, sleep well and not get stressed.  

Oh, and I stepped on the scales. Pahahahahahaha.

It is what it is.


Hopefully by the weekend, the snotters and exploding brain will be gone, and I’ll get some fresh air, some exercise and back on track!  With 2 potential races lined up for next year, it’s time to get this show on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment