Sunday 8 May 2016

A race of two halfs

Doing another race so soon after the Fling isn't necessarily the smartest move, and would go against all standard training and recovery guidelines.  I'd heard such good things about the course, from others who had recce'd the route last year, and with this being the first year of this new addition to the BAM stable (www.runyabam.com), organisers of Glen Ogle, Great Glen and Glenmore, it was too hard to resist as I knew it would be a well-organised and friendly affair.
And it certainly didn't disappoint!
Photo by Chen/Running in Scotland
A few people opted to wild camp the night before, and while this was tempting, with a civilised 9:30am start time, I decided to drive across in the morning (even with Google Maps telling me it was a 2 hour drive, given the single track winding road all the way from Killin!)

The course is 2 laps.  I'd half believed the first lap, which was a highly runnable loop around Loch Lyon was longer (c17/18 miles) but on the day, Garmin clocked it at about 15.5m.

With Sharon and Jeni (race winner!)

Thus, the second, and infinitely more challenging loop, which headed off into the glen, was actually slightly longer.  In traditional BAM style, the route was billed as 30 miles, and I clocked in at 31.7m at the finish line!  (and thus my pre-race forecast of 6hours was slightly out....only by about 4/5 minutes!)

The first climb!
Once you leave Killin, heading to Bridge of Balgie and beyond, all thoughts of civilisation are gone!  There's a clear reason the race control need a satellite phone!!  I didn't get signal again until I was back on the road home.  A true day of escapism!

Once I got through the scary drive across the Ben Lawers road, parking was fine (off road, and as conditions had been dry (and I have a 4x4 so shouldn't worry) no issues with getting a space or sinking.

My nerves were quite high compared to how I had felt for last week's fling. I think the 'fear' of the unknown a key contributor, as I really had no idea what the terrain or course were like.  Thankfully there were sufficient porta-loos and wilderness!

Another bonus for this race is that there is no big restriction on your drop bags, as you run back (across the dam) and through base camp between loops, so there was the option to change kit (the first lap has several interesting river crossings (at least one of which was thigh deep yesterday!)).  Can't wait to see the photos and will edit one in!  Inevitably, I didn't change any kit, nor eat half the stuff I had packed when I actually got there!

So, after a brief briefing....during which Bill asked if we could all swim, given the risk assessment had to include danger of drowning.....we were off.  A short tarmac descent and then onto a steady climb up along landrover track and this separated us out pretty quickly.  My plan was to just bimble along and see how I felt.

This doesn't do the views justice
The trail around Loch Lyon is highly runnable and I was making decent progress.  As it transpired, we also had a beneficial tail wind most of the way out!  Thus the return back towards the dam was somewhat more challenging, into the wind!

The weather was fairly settled and warm, and within a couple of miles, I'd rolled the sleeves down, and several people were peeling off layers!  I'd pretty much worn the same as last week, aside from swapping shorts for skort.

I was conscious of not trying to push on too much and risk burn out or injury.  There were quite a few of us there who had run the Fling the week before, so not alone in being one to take a risk.  My body felt ok, not too niggly and not overly tired.  I hadn't done any real training in the week (just an easy hungover couple of miles on Thursday morning in London).

'I can see the fkn steep
path from here'
(Photo by Lois)
What seemed too quickly we were back crossing the dam....the tarmac/coating felt decidedly sticky after the nice track around the loch!  A fanny around in transition, aided by Mairi Fox and then off onto the next loop.  This started with the same short downhill, but followed by what seemed like 1.5 miles of climb!  I admit, I wasn't loving the tarmac at this point but kept my ultra-march going and had some chat with Mark about CCC along the way.  Also had the pleasure of seeing James Stewart powering up the hill towards his epic finish (I'd only run about 19 miles at this point and he only had 2/3 to go!!).

Arriving at the next water station, where Lois was in charge of the troops and pointed me in the right direction...while re-assuring me that the REALLY steep path I could see on the other side of the glen wasn't where I was headed!  And she was telling the truth!

This loop was definitely more challenging and this 'out' section felt like a long gradual climb (with fantastic mountain views again).  There was then a gravelly descent (which my knees didn't like too much) and the return through the glen was relatively flat and, had it not been for the head wind, and tiredness, runnable.  A few people passed me on this loop, and I passed a few others.

I caught up with Sharon and Brigette on this return stretch, and after chatting for a while, moved away slightly, and made a wee bit better progress on THE HILL.   OOOOOFT!  That is some climb back up out of the glen, and seemed to go on forever!

I tried to get some more fuel in at this point, downing the remains of my coke, and having another mini mars bar (I suspect once again I probably hadn't eaten enough early on).  I was grateful to see Lois and the aid station half-way up, and get a top up of my water. 

Marching up the climb
Photo by Lois
Finally, after more marching, I was over the top, and knowing there was about 2 miles of descent to the finish.  Hard to get the shuffle back on, and my ankles were protesting a little, but finally got the momentum (downhill roll) and a view of the finish line!

A cheeky wee final climb...can't.stop.now....and then a resounding whooping and clapping from the marshals and finishers/supporters and it was done!  6hrs 4mins and some seconds and 31.8miles.  Job done!

As with all BAM events, there is a great haul of goodies for finishers - medal, functional t-shirt, buff, snacks (with tasty Nairns goodies, Tunnocks wafers and Irn Bru!), Thistly Cross race cider.  I was a little too slow to get soup - the hungry early finishers had scoffed it all, but had a couple of mugs of strong black coffee!

Was pleased to hear Jeni had won the ladies race - what an epic year she is having, and the training never seems to stop!  And on the back of running the fling last week too!

Overall a fabulous race - good course, well organised, good support, cheery marshals, great 'rewards' and the conditions were pretty perfect yesterday.  I think this would be a great step up for those looking for their first ultra, as well as a good challenge for those with more experience.  I have no doubt this race will go from strength to strength and would anticipate a sell-out next year!

Great work BAM!

Garmin results here
6hrs 4m 11s
Ave pace 11:29min/mile







No comments:

Post a Comment