Sunday 27 January 2013

"It could rain on race day...."

Ooft what a run today!  The forecast promised rain and gales, and didn't fail to deliver on that!  What they didn't mention was the sleet and snow, and the icebergs floating down the Sherrifmuir road, requiring a detour!

This weekend's planned long run was for 20 miles, and as I've not been adhering to the rest of the schedule particularly well, I was keen to nail it this weekend, and get over that psychological hurdle.

Yesterday might've been the better day to do it - clear, dry, but bitterly cold and snowy (still lying deep on the paths and trails), and there was an alluring optional distraction....a trip to the Cairngorms (one of my favourite ever places) to see the Husky Rally (oh, and we happened to detour into the Mountain Cafe afterwards for a cheeky wee scoff!)
Wise and contemplative!
I could easily have stolen this wee man




















So, today I knew the miles had to be done, so I wrapped up in 4 layers, thermal tights, spare clothes/gloves/buff in Camelbak, and set off at good pace (probably a little too quick in hindsight looking at the stats).  I'd pretty much planned all week that I'd run on the road this weekend, so headed into Braco, Kinbuck, Dunblane, Bridge of Allan and back via Pendreich and Sherrifmuir. 

My latest "secret weapon" on the long slow solo runs is audio books, and I've been trying to catch up with the rest of the world by listening to "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".  It seems to be working well so far.  I started listening to WHW podcasts last year and really find the spoken voice a better tempo for the longer stuff.  You just have to make sure you don't forget to listen for traffic, watch for potholes/pavements etc....nor get distracted and let your mind wander and miss key points of the story!

Still I had to dig pretty deep....back to that old mantra "it could rain on race day" to get through it.  it's not that long until the D33 and the fling, and the way this climate is going there's going to be many a "character building" run to be done (thanks Helen!).  And I'd back-weighted all the hills...so the challenge mentally was to build in the "walk the steep bits" philosophy, even though there was tarmac down there somewhere!

I detoured the last 3 miles - Clark had been running out from the house to meet me, and called to warn of 1 foot-deep ice rivers of icebergs on the descent from Sheriffmuir to Greenloaning and loss of feeling in his feet.  Thankfully my superhero was on hand to drive to Dunblane to pick me up at the revised end point!

So glad of a hot shower (with cold jets on the legs first!), the big pot of homemade soup, a wee square of Mrs Tilly's fudge and a lazy afternoon by the log fire (and without the almost obligatory afternoon nap!)!

I'll sleep well tonight I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment