Friday 13 December 2013

Another step closer to the goblet

The coveted finishers goblet
Good things have happened this week!  After an anxious month, and then several over-excitable days, the entry list for the lucky 265 individuals was drawn, and I was lucky enough to be offered a place in the 2014 West Highland Way Race!!  

The excitement was immense...I didn't know whether to laugh, or cry...or both (I think I did)...and then had several drinks to calm my nerves whilst catching up with the Facebook frenzy, hearing the news spread around the country, of those lucky (and some unlucky) in this next stage of their quest!

So, that's that then.....every run from now truly takes me another step closer to my 2014 goblet....a challenge I'm ready to face head on, one step after another!  (I'm stealing that 'another step closer' from Sarah Self who I think said it to me in the early hours/last laps of Glenmore this year....another step takes you closer to your goblet... (Sarah thankfully will be part of the Hamilton WHW Pit Crew in 2014!))

There's no hiding place in training for this, stepping out into what could ultimately be a life or death situation (cheery huh?!) and not wanting to let myself, my support crew, or the race organisers down!

Following my successful entry, I was asked by John Kynaston if I'd take part in the WHW podcasts - a wee 15 minutes or so chat every couple of months to follow my progress as a newbie in the race!  OMG!  Exciting, and scary...but John very quickly made me feel at ease on the Skype call (and I'll almost forgive him for taking my picture (I was just back from a run, fresh out the bath, wearing PJ's and a hoody!!)).  I've not summoned up the courage to listen to it yet! 

So, the training gains real focus now...I'm still in the Marcothon after 13 days (beating last year's performance), although some days have been a challenge!  Clark is going to draw me up a training plan for WHW, taking in the delight that is the Highland Fling in April, and dealing with the complications of life and work in between....and I'll do my best to follow it!  I'll be getting back into the gym to build up some strength as well as properly putting my mind to shifting a few pounds!  Main thing is getting some good long runs on WHW scheduled in (some of these come from the WHW training weekend, and 2 fling training weekends), some back-to-backs, and some more night running!

Can't wait!  Feckin' excited!!

Designed by Clark Hamilton


1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to following your progress. Enjoy the build up and the race will be the icing on the cake!

    Sorry about the photo!!

    ReplyDelete