Sunday 12 January 2014

It's only January!


There's been a flurry of activity on Facebook this last week or so, as everyone attacks the new year with gusto and resolutions.  It's hard to not make comparisons, wondering if I'm doing enough/the right things, combined with the stresses of going back to work (straight into my team's busiest point of the year), and regaining the focus on the diet.

But I've done ok keeping focus - I have a plan that's going to get me to the start line in the best shape I can be, and I've started as I mean to go on.

Training is going well so far.  I've started back in the gym, and while the weights aren't very heavy, the effect is felt!  This week's reminder, is don't expect a session full of squats and lunges, not to hurt 2 days later when you try to run 20 miles on the WHW!

And I've managed to get all my scheduled runs done too - adhering to the instructions of 'tempo', 'steady' and 'easy' for a change!

Diet wise, I'm mainly back using the Slimming World principles (I love the fact that I need never be hungry!), and I'm tracking my eating on the myfitnesspal app, with a view to thinking about better balancing the carb:protein ratios.  I've stopped drinking (aside from a couple of wine's on one night out)...and the effect is that I've dropped about 4-5 lbs so far this year (based on a mid-festivities weigh in as the starting point!).

I'm also re-acquainting myself with the discipline of rest - if this is going to work, I need to be more forceful, and less guilty about recovery - rest days and afternoon naps are back on the compulsory list!!

The highlight of the training runs so far was yesterday's Glee run - a 20 miler out and back from Tyndrum (to just before the Falls of Falloch).  The best weather of the year (and for about the last 2 months!) and some great inclines and descents in the snow.  Some good chat, and new friends.  It's the section of WHW I've been on  least, so it was a good reminder of the forest section behind Crianlarich!  I did need to remind myself several times on the out and back that it's still only January, and there's plenty of time to build the fitness and endurance!  Don't peak too soon!!


So, feeling pretty good so far, 55 miles run year to date and 3 gym sessions.  Longest run 20 miles, with a 6.4 back to back today to test the tired legs.

And on that note, it's time for some zzzzzzzz....


1 comment:

  1. Love it! Get a plan and stick to it :-)
    I have a plan and after my birthday cake later today it will be being stuck to - great running yesterday xx

    ReplyDelete