Saturday 25 January 2014

Obstacles and Antibiotics

This week was always going to be the first real obstacle in my training plan.  I was lucky enough to be invited to Barcelona for the week with a work training course, and was excited to be part of what had the makings of a great week of working hard, playing hard, and spending time in a city I've been to and loved before.



We'd factored this into the training, planning for this to be an 'easier' week, dropping the mid-week training down a small notch, and the weekend back-to-backs down slightly too.

But, sometimes, even planning for obstacles is not enough to stop you coming unstuck.  I wasn't feeling myself on Monday on the journey to the airport, and through Heathrow to Barcelona, and by the time I clambered into the fabulous comfy bed that night, things were not well. Diagnosis by Google had me imagining all sorts of troubles, wondering if I had travel insurance or would end up in some dodgy Spanish hospital surrounded by people who didn't speak english (your imagination runs wild when you're away from home and unwell!!)

To cut a long story short, I think adrenaline got me through the week.  The training days were long, and for self-preservation (and the fact the hotel gym didn't open before 8, we had no free time in the evenings, and it was too 'risky' to run alone in the dark....and that I was 'burst', and in pain...blah blah) I did no training, and opted for the early bail out each night ('luckily' one of the team who is about to have a baby was also happy to chum me back to the hotel each night)...and the 'early' option was 11:30/12...so not exactly that early!  I did miss out on some great fun it would seem though, which wasn't ideal.


Anyway, docs yesterday, by which point the pain was back to being excruciating again, and I'm on antibiotics for a few days, and on the couch perfecting my resting technique!
And I'll live, which is more than I'd decided I would last Monday at 3am on Google!!

So, not the optimum week in terms of training, but mentally, an early opportunity to deal with the need to adapt and over-come....some folk had a week off before they started their training this year, I'm just having mine in week 3!  Who says that's a bad thing??!

1 comment: