Sunday 23 March 2014

Out and Back and Back to Back

View from Sherrifmuir today

It's been a pretty good week this week...training has pretty much gone according to plan without too many distractions.

That's not to say I'm not feeling it...that's 2 fairly hard weeks back to back, with D33 last week (albeit with less actual training sessions), and I've just skipped over 50 miles for the week with a cracking sunny sunday morning run. 

Factoring in a return to the gym this week (squats and lunges to build on the power in the legs, coupled with chest, back and arms work), a return to pilates (where has my deep core and rotational strength gone?), some foam roller action, and 2 mid-week runs, it's fair to say the legs (and body) are feeling it this week....and hey, it feels GOOD!!

An unusually high number of out and backs over the last 9 days...D33, both mid-week runs, and the back-to-backs this weekend....out and back.....not my favourite...but maybe it's good for the mental strength??

Yesterday there were demons to try and slay....Drymen to Sallochy and back....I've never had a particularly great time doing that previously.  Last year I ran it with Jo Rae and wore new shoes (WTF was I thinking?) and ripped my feet to sheds.... Later in the year I ran it (to Rowardennan and back) with Noanie (and later joined by Johnny Fling) and it was a killer....I took the opportunity to bail as JF's car was nearer than mine.  Maybe my mistake is choosing machines to run with (wonderful people though they are!!)

With a lot of climb (Conic twice) and lots of undulation, it was always going to be a toughie but that was why I wanted to do it! And because the course profile on Garmin amuses me...


Moody Millarochy (by Clark)



Originally I'd planned just to go it alone, but luckily Viki W (and then Clark and Cori Dog) decided to join me.  The day dawned cold and windy, with a bit of drizzle but then we had the joys of sleet on Conic, heat (a little too much) for quite a while...and generally just an unpredictable mix of everything!

Lots of runners, some familiar faces out (including an unexpected 'drop bag' style pause at Balmaha when we bumped into Helen Munro) and we made pretty swift progress in the early miles...maybe actually a wee bit fast given the climbing to come! The chat was flowing (which on the way back it wasn't really!), and it was great to catch up with Viki's training and thoughts for the Fling and WHW...many of which are similar to mine!  

Clark, as usual was skipping up all the hills (including running up Conic both ways!) but was supportive of our slowing efforts to keep up (especially on the return!)

Ultra runners 'we walk the hills'

As we climbed Conic on the return, I was feeling a wee bit nauseous...I think I probably hadn't drunk enough in the earlier stages when it was hot.  This feeling didn't really abate in the final 6 miles, but I kept trying to eat and drink as we counted down the miles!  Thoughts of some cold, fizzy lucozade and an ice lolly motivated me onwards!

Fuel for the day had been a chia charge banana flapjack - I think this worked pretty well, with it's wee salt flakes to offset the sweetness; some gels (a mix of Gu and SIS), a small handful of pretzels and a wee square of Mrs Tilly's when I was feeling low.  I wore my UD SJ pack, and had more success with the bottles (filling one half full of coke and one with nuun), but could've benefited from taking a spare nuun tablet for when I needed to top up at Millarochy on the way back.  

Anyway, a good run, good company, time on feet and some epic climbing.  I think I do a fair bit of ascent on average, but the thought of having to do yesterday's run 'another 3 times' in June puts a bit of perspective on things!  And I guess only really about 9/10 real weeks of training left before the tapering begins?!?  But there's no point in being ready now!

Today rounded off the week with another back-to-back - a solo, hilly road run under sunshine and blue skies with only the podcasts for company.  Felt like I could have kept going for ages today....and that's got to be a sign of positive gains in fitness! Happy me, happy Sunday!

1 comment: