Monday 17 March 2014

Run to the hills.....aye, right.....

Collage by Stuart McFarlane
D33...#doepicshit

Well, what can we say about the D33.....hmmm.....in all honesty, the people, the atmosphere and the sunshine made the race....the route, well, it's a bit on the flat, straight and not very scenic side for me....but that's what it says on the tin, so can't complain really!

This was the second year I've entered the event...last year was a DNS as I went to Madrid with work the 3 days before and wasn't home until late...and made sufficient excuses not to go... This year, I entered again in the Hogmanay frenzy, and then found out I was getting to go to Dublin with work for a couple of days before hand...deja vu...?!

Sitting in Dublin Airport on Friday night with 'delay' flashing on the departures board didn't bode well...I'd already almost talked myself out of running anyway......I'd made no plans, was going to have to drive myself to Aberdeen and back on race day (missing the post-race party!)......and had sampled the late night delights of Dublin bars and a whiskey or two on Thursday night....

I text home to Clark to inform of my DNS intention...to which his reply was something along the lines of 'quit whinging and MTFU'....hmmm.....not the response I'd been expecting!  So, by the time I get home, I've almost convinced myself that actually, given the bigger picture for 2014, the WHW race demands that I have the capacity to run tired, it might actually be a decent 'training' experiment.....and after catching up on the Facebook chat, slightly jealous that everyone else already seemed to be in Aberdeen or Stonehaven, I chuck a random selection of food in a carrier bag, chuck the minimum I think I might need in a drop bag (adhering strictly to the 'Tesco bag with race number written on it' rule), set the alarm for 5:15 and head for bed...still not 100% convinced I'm going!
Photo by Stuart McFarlane

Race briefing
Fast forward to 0845 and I'm in Duthie Park listening to the race briefing in a light drizzle and catching up with friends.

The race started without fuss and we all streamed off along the flat, tarmac path towards Banchory....and that was that...


I chummed David Ross for about the first 10 miles and his patter and pace were good, easing the miles away.  I didn't have a plan...and the best I could come up with was to try and keep at around 10 minute miles and not overdo it ('training run' Clark had reminded me in a last text before I started!).

Conditions were heating up, and the drizzle didn't come to anything.....the goretex jacket I had put on just before the start became totally unnecessary (when will I learn?!). No real issues as the miles passed...hamsrtings felt a bit tight at about 7/8 miles (I guess due to the flat terrain) but this eased off.  After David held back to chat to someone who was dropping out, I caught up and chatted with a nice girl for a while about the Scottish Peaks sailing/hill running (sorry, I forgot to ask her name), but then moved ahead at some point, and on to the turning point (the bonus interest factor of returning runners kept me amused for a couple of miles), to be welcomed by the ever cheery Sandra MacDougall and Johnny Fling.  Had a wee chat to Mr Mike from Out-Run whilst scoffing some pretzels and drinking my fat coke; took off my jacket and then had a wee sprint to catch Minty, thinking I could chum him for a while, only to be told he was burst.   Hmm....bit bored now, so headphones in and some cheesy dance and pop to entertain me back to Duthie.  

Photo by Stuart McFarlane
I was feeling pretty strong most of the way back, and soon started passing runner after runner whilst singing along to my tunes.  Passed the Grim Sweepers and had a quick high-five...and had a wee chuckle as I ran up one of the 'hills' (small blip) to be told by a guy I must be strong to be 'running up the hill'....ha ha ha.....  I stuck in with my pace, and managed to retain the average just under 10 min/mile all the way back, and for the whole race...probably a slight negative split (and there was a slight tail-wind at points).

Photo by Stuart (again)






For me, the strong point was that I finished feeling like I could go on, and hadn't overdone it.  I managed a "comedy" finish...and actually managed that some "nice" photos were taken.

Great goody bag, medal, beer, buffet table and friendly hugs to round off a good day of running.

The drive home was smooth and uneventful...and my legs still worked when I tried to get out of the car!

So...what did I learn:

  • don't panic about the weather and over-dress (maybe a light waterproof in my pack would've been a better choice)
  • in hotter conditions remember to sudocrem/bodyglide everywhere pre-race!
  • remember to 'flatten' the coke I put in the drop bags
  • chia flapjack made quite a nice 'second breakfast' in the car journey up...and didn't seem to have any adverse effects (need to try this mid-race)
  • not 100% convinced the mango baby brekkie was a good fuel choice
  • I ate/drank less than I think I should have....about half litre of nuun...wee bit of coke...maybe 4 gels (still loving GU salted caramel, but interchanged with SIS berry) and a handful of pretzels
Really well organised event, great value for money, and despite the flatness and lack of mud, I'd be fairly inclined to do it again!



2 comments:

  1. great photo at finish :-) You looked like you'd just been for a wee jog, bodes well for June xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great run, definitely on track for June xx

    ReplyDelete