Tuesday 30 December 2014

An Ode to 2014

D33 Finish:
Photo by Sandra McDougall

So 2014 is almost all gone,
The races are done, and the training goes on.
With plans now in place for 2015
What life is there left in my aging machine?
 
The D33, a new event for me this year,
Flat, mostly tarmac, it filled me with fear!
With no expectations I set off cautiously.
And to my great joy, finished beaming with glee!

 



Fling Finish:
Photo by Stuart MacFarlane





This year saw me tackle the Fling one more time,
A brilliant event, and goody bags with wine!
I climbed into Tyndrum, my body held out,
Down that finishing straight, and never in doubt!

 




WHW Ceremony:
Photo Clark Hamilton






The West Highland Way Race, the pinnacle of my year,
The training was full-on, through blood, sweat and tears.
Toe'd the line at Milngavie, full of excitement and dread,
"Next stop Fort William", whispered the yellow angel in my head!
 
A roller coaster of emotion, great highs and great lows
Why we put ourselves through this? Nobody knows!
With support from 'the family' and my No.1 crew
The goblet was mine, and the memories too!

Caroline & I at Lundavra on Devil
Photo Clark Hamilton

A last dance with the Devil; the Triple Crown in sight
I had to dig deep, body putting up a fight.
A good friend running with me, we kept up the pace,
The finish line beckoned, we'd finish our race!

Glenmore, and ‘the horn’ my last aim for this year
It didn’t go great, there were plenty of tears.
The body wasn’t willing, and the weather was hell!
Alas, I wasn't to hear that finishing bell.


Helen & I at start of Glenmore
Photo by David Mooney
Recovery took time, and the wine eased the pain
Lots of vitamins and rest - I will race again!
The Marcothon is a godsend to get me on track,
Going out in all weathers, my mojo is back!

Distractions aplenty, some days have been tough
And with 1 day to go, there’s been more smooth than rough.
A close to the year, no DNF for me!
I’m ready to come out fighting in January.


John & I at Lundavra on WHWR
Photo Clark Hamilton
Some goals are in place, some yet to confirm.
Training will be tough, I need to stay firm!
Cupboards full of good kit, I just need to get fit,
No grumbling or moaning, no reasons to quit.

 


Devil support
Photo by David Mooney





It’s been a great year of running, that much is true
With so many great friends, to keep pulling me through.
And my hubby beside me, spurring me on
There to pick up the pieces if something goes wrong.
 
2015 let’s see what you’ve got.
The mind is still willing, even if the body is not.
I’ll train smarter and harder to get myself fitter,
Because I love what I do, and I ain't no quitter!

1 comment: