Sunday 14 December 2014

We do run, run , run, The Marcothon


From Debbie MC on FB
Fear of missing out (FOMO say the 'kids')...it's a powerful thing...

I wasn't going to do the Marcothon this year, and I held my guns I think until 30th November....and then I caved!

I knew I needed something to motivate me, and whilst I did, was also conscious I was only on the first steps of recovery and didn't want to push myself too hard. On some days I was still suffering a bit - days after work had been particularly hard, or I'd taken on too much.  Even just some fairly 'easy' training was still in some instances causing some fairly interesting DOMS that I'm not really used to at that level of effort.  I considered some options - should I just try and do my own thing, and try 30 mins exercise each day. 

Photo from Helen & John Munro (copied from Daily Record)
And then I just decided to go for it!  The worst that could happen was a DNF (I failed in year 1, completed in year 2 last year).

The rules are up above, and some history of the event now in its 5th year, is in this link to an article in the Daily Record .




So here we are on day 14 - I'm still in!!  14 runs and 55 miles.  Not any massive shakes in terms of distance, and I'm not upset at that.  The vital thing for me is having a wee bit of mojo back; that stubborn streak that makes me want to complete!  

Cori perfecting 'suicide' look.  And this was
before we hit the knee deep drifts!

And I've also had some nice runs so far this month - including a nice snowy yomp across the Ochils from Frandy fishery in Glendevon to Blackford - eternally gratefully that Clark is a 'willing' chauffeur to drive me into the wilderness and drop me off.  Yesterday he got 'revenge' by sneaking up the hill from the Blackford side to hide in the heather and ambush me and Cori dog with snowballs!!

Almost half way through the Marcothon then, and the weather can't get any worse?!  We've had snow, ice, gales and not much sunshine....what doesn't kill us makes us stronger!!

The weird sink hole in the top reservoir.  My route goes
up behind those trees and off over the shoulder.

The Facebook group is great for motivation - I love seeing how many folk post that they're out because the CBA or think the weather is too rough, only to receive a flurry of 'motivational' comments and then an hour later be posting about how great they feel having been out and done it!

Here's to the next couple of weeks, injury free, with smiles on our faces and the wind on our backs!  

For me, I'm hoping this re-boots the mojo for good, and provides a sound base for the January focus on structured training, healthy food, and no alcohol!!




No comments:

Post a Comment