Sunday 25 January 2015

The Apprentice



I was mulling over some thoughts for a blog today on my snowy Sunday run around Kilmahog and the lower bits of Ben Ledi, about thinking how I still feel like an apprentice in the ultra running world, and that there is still plenty of time to be served..in fact, maybe for most of us, we never actually become the master tradesman.

I think in this scenario, we are probably both the apprentice, and the boss (Alan Sugar if you like), as most of us are not under the direction of a coach, or commitment to reach a certain level to achieve that will secure us a long term future in the sport (and unlikely to get fired, unless we do to ourselves, either willingly or through illness or injury).  We wrestle with dreams and hopes, inspired by what we see and read around us, often uber keen to achieve and succeed in events a few years ago we had never even heard of.

With 'Karen' and 'Nick' poised there, one on each shoulder, like an angel and devil, retrospectively pointing out the mistakes we make, the opportunities we could have taken or egging us on to go further, harder or faster, in more races and more training.

And the 'team' around us - friends, acquaintances, co-competitors in many an event and training run, often sharing similar dreams and goals, yet all from different backgrounds.  Whilst I'm not suggesting there is any negativity here, how do we filter the huge amount of information thrown at us.  Everyone has an opinion, a different set of experiences and achievements.  Not a day goes by without  reasonable questions being raised, and the answers coming from all angles - you need Hoka/innov8/Salomon (insert any other shoe brand here), you need to do yoga/pilates/squats/lunges/kettlebells/metafit/insanity/foam rolling (and many other things in between) or you must run faster/slower/hillier, following this training plan, or that one....do 20 miles a week....do 120...... 

And I'm no different - I offer my thoughts, I absorb the suggestions; I worry, I wonder...I drool over new kit, I question if I'm training enough, or too much, or the right 'kind' of training....question my logistics (if I get it wrong, how p***ed off will my crew be hanging around wondering where I am? / how many weekends am I going to be away on training runs that take all day?), my finances (it's not just the entry fees to consider).  I'm no different to many others I expect.

But I'm serving my time, and still learning as I go.....it's 15 years since I did my first marathon, and there's been ups and downs, good decisions and bad since then.  Everything contributing over the long term towards building the strength in the body and mind, getting me to where I am today. There were a few years not running, while training in sports massage, and being injured. I'm sure there will be times like this again. 

The goals may look and feel different now, and the lifestyle and work requirements too.  One thing I have learnt is that the training plan has to be mine, and mine alone....whether it's for a 10k or a 100miler.....others can guide and advise, but I need to adapt it, and not beat myself up when things need to change.  I need to own it and deliver it as best I can, taking responsibility for the decisions I make, even when some of those decisions are out of my control when they relate to work. 

Same with kit, and any element of the jigsaw really - test it and try it when you can, what's right for some, might not be for you...ask advice and try to find what's right for you....and accept that your needs will change over time.

I'm still learning, and listening, still the apprentice, and expect and hope to be that way for many years to come, without getting 'fired'!

2 comments:

  1. Yep, trust your own instincts and I don't think you ever stop learning. Enjoy your journey, it's nobody else's. :)

    ReplyDelete