Sunday 18 January 2015

The Luck of The Draw



Well, what a week it's been! And I almost ran out of blog-time (to be fair, I 'should' be doing some work, but my work laptop is playing up, and I've kinda promised myself I'll blog every week, so let's get on with it!)

Weather...it's been crazy this week! Tuesday morning's run got slightly curtailed as Cori and I got caught in yet another blizzard. Darkness, headtorches and snowflakes the size of, what felt like bricks, battering into your eyeballs isn't a great combination.

Sandra and Lorna heading towards the sun
The end of the week made up for it though, with mostly blue skies and alpine views across the hills - 'typical' Glee Club weather at Tyndrum for about 20 of us doing varying distances.  

I was one of those who did the shortest distance on the day, finding the knee deep snow quite tough going I opted for the 'sensible' turn around at Bogle Glen choice.  By that point I was feeling pretty knackered with the climbing, and I know my fitness and stamina are not quite there yet.  

Pre-run group shot
Mentally it's quite tough as there were many folk on the day I usually am able to keep up with and go the distance...and chat along to... It is only January though, and plenty of time for me to peak for June, and work on getting back to the chat!

On the plus side, I got a wee shot with my new Mountain King lightweight poles on the way back (and before anyone says it, I KNOW I'm not allowed to use them in the WHW race).  First outing of them...so far, so good!

To further make up for the blizzards and crappy weather, the other epic thing which happened this week was the draw for the UTMB races, and I've been lucky enough to get through the ballot for the CCC - 101km of fun in the Alps in August!  

Feeling blessed to have been lucky in the ballots for the two races I wanted to do this year which were both well over-subscribed! Time for some additional hills to be added into this year's training plan (although this was already high on the agenda anyway!). 

And also lucky to have the benefit of a load of great friends who have been before, and are going again (for various races or for fun), and instantly sprung into action sorting accommodation and advising on travel.  I can't wait to see everyone hopefully having a great run, and soaking up the sweaty alpine atmosphere!

Cori dog helping me today
The week ended today with some more slippy miles in the snow...once again lucky with the sunshine (and mostly benefiting from a tail-wind for the first half!).  I stuck to the roads today, and had some 4-paw assistance (which was worth it's weight in dog biscuits when being attached by harness to him saved me from a near disastrous face plant!).  Oh, and a great massage this afternoon too...VITAL part of training...and I definitely needed it!

Oh, and I almost forgot...I'm a half-stone lighter than when I went back to work....determination is working!  So much so, that I poured a glass of wine tonight while making dinner (wee bit left in the bottle excuse..) and then poured it down the sink rather than drink it!  Jeeeeez......

4 runs this week totalling 36 miles (2 x 6 miles, 2 x 12 miles)
2 rest days
1 wee spin in front of the log fire
2 wee core/strength & conditioning

A good week...still broadly on track!














1 comment: