Thursday 18 June 2015

And then there were tears



This morning there were tears.  Proper sobbing tears.  In the kitchen.

I blame Karen Donoghue.  An innocent post on FB set me off.  

It was about goblets.  It triggered me right back to the Nevis Centre last year, and the goblet ceremony.

I'm sure I wrote about it plenty in my race report last year (I'm scared to go back and read it), and aside from actually finishing the race, touching the leisure centre doors and dibbing my timing card for the last time, there aren't many times in my life I've felt such emotion. Tears.  Happy tears.

In 3 days time, I'll be there again, all being well.  Trying to hold it together until my name gets called, when in a blur I'll have to shuffle to the front, and try not to drop my precious goblet.

There will no doubt be standing ovations, PBs busted and 10 completions awards. 

People will hobble, shuffle and wince when it's their turn. Some may be on crutches, some may be in hospital (hopefully not!).  Those who finished at the front of the field might just skip up, making it seem like they haven't just completed 95 miles and 15,000ft of climb.

Everyone will have earned their moment of fame, and everyone will get the rightful respect from those assembled - crew, marshals, race committee, fellow runners.

I, for one, can't wait to be there.

Hankies at the ready.

Good luck to you all - runners, many of you already friends, and many I hope will be before the weekend is over, wherever you might be placed; support crews, we can't do this without you,and we will be eternally in your debt; race committee/directors etc, we thank you for all your efforts; and partners/husbands/wives etc....patience, support, love....Thank you!!

Stay safe, run well!  Things will never be the same again.

2 comments:

  1. More bloody dust flying about and getting in my eyes! Damn you woman xxx

    ReplyDelete