Monday 2 May 2016

Ding, Ding....round 4

I couldn't believe how quickly we got to Fling day again this year, but Saturday was the day.  I'd had a busy lead up to race day, and maybe partly due to feeling a bit more 'experienced' this year, was less frenetic about my preparations, aside from some concern about the every changing weather and what to wear (generally I always over-dress!) given we'd had significant snow over-night on Thursday.

That was a worry I needn't have had as Johnny Fling clearly had a word with the weather Gods and we couldn't have really asked for better conditions, with only a couple of light rain showers during the day, a nice cool start and some beautiful blue skies and sunshine.  If anything, maybe a little too hot at parts, but I think I got the kit choice right!

What did I wear.....x-bionic boxers and shorts, compressport calf guards, drymax socks, Hoka speedgoat, x-bionic vest, ronhill t-shirt (last year's WHW one), salomon cap (recently purchased in Chamonix, to give me strength for the hills!) and a wee headband (instead of my usual buff), x-bionic arm sleeves (perfect to roll down when too hot, and to dip in the streams to help cool off) and some wee skinny gloves (which I did actually take off eventually!).  Had my UD pack...I think its the AK from last year (still hankering after a new ladies one...).


Photo by Chen / Running in Scotland
After a quick whizz through registration on Friday night - super slick and surprisingly quiet compared to last year (although it was after 9pm), Clark dropped me off at the Premier Inn, and after the compulsory kit layout, a wee cuppa tea, an antihistamine and a dram, I soon drifted off to sleep....and slept surprisingly well until the 0410 alarm call!  Followed the usual routine then of 2 porridge pots, a coffee, and a guzzle of orange squash while getting organised.  5:15 depart and the short(ish) walk up the road to the start line. 


Photo by Monument Photos







The crowds were gathering and there was a positive buzz.  The weather I think was helping, and the drop bags, toilet queues and chat were all going well.  Before long it was time for Johnny Fling's briefing from the top of the fling van! Eeek I hope that washes off Sheona!!  And then it was time to go!  I started in the second wave, times estimated 10-12 hours and was hoping for between 11:30 and 12, all being well.  I wasn't too sure how my training had panned out this year and you can never be too certain heading out to run 53 miles as to how it will go!

About 6 miles in.
Photo by Ross Lawrie


Photo by Monument Photos

I felt comfortable throughout the first stretch to Drymen although was conscious that I was running a bit faster than I possible would have expected.  My heart rate was fine and I did ease off a couple of times just to ensure I wasn't over-cooking this 'easy' section.  It was nice to cruise along, and have some chats along the way (sorry to Pauline for thinking you were Fiona though!  Having caught the kit out the corner of my eye, it was an easy mistake!)



I made sure to keep drinking every mile or so (Tailwind) and ate a packet of mini Cheddars before Drymen.  Think I was about 2hr 10.

Off over Conic (fuelled by a mini bag of Haribo) and still feeling strong.  Nothing hurt, breathing was steady and all was good with the world.  Where else would you rather be at 8am on a sunny Saturday?!

Was great to see Ruth Howie for a hug at the top of Conic, and the look on her face was priceless (if a little worrying) about why I was there in such good time!  Also bumped into Jeni R-J at this point (which was a bit of a worry as she's waaaay faster than me!) and Sharon Hassan.  Oh, and a double-dunt of photographers too....


A view from Conic
Steady descent to Balmaha with the plan to get the drop bag done asap.  The marshals were super efficient and the only downside was the sun had melted my mini Mars bar (boak...), which I ate anyway....and some other stuff (some mini 'party'/scotch eggs I think....(I'll stop wittering on about what I ate now....)...and that I heard Davie Mooney say 'well done' just as I was leaving, which was sad as that meant he had pulled out (right decision though to save longer term injury!)

Normally I struggle a bit with the next section to Rowardennan, but all felt pretty good.  I passed Carol Martin at Millarochy...another sign I was possible moving a bit faster than I should, but again, my breathing and heart rate felt ok, so I opted to keep moving.  I faffed a bit longer at this next checkpoint, stuffing excess drop-bag contents into my pack...naively thinking I might get round to eating them all (this was a stupid decision, which I repeated at every subsequent checkpoint and resulted in my pack weighing about 3 times more at the finish than at the start!)

I ran with Lucy for a good stretch after the checkpoint which was really good as her chat kept me going up the long climb.  She dropped me on the descent though, never to be seen again....

I didn't find the lochside as congested this year which was good, and I opted to not try and push too hard here.  I had a couple of stumbles, and while remained upright, were enough to give me pause for thought.

Through Inversnaid, with some additional cheers from Chris Anderson from work who was walking with some friends (or drinking beer perhaps...), and onwards for the final scrambling section (where I caught Alan Doig (who promptly fell over....)) and then up to the Angels Playground to share my Macallan with Dario, and soak up the view (cue my first tears of the day)....

A perfect spot to share a dram
And.....I was still feeling ok.....
I think at this point I was recalling the last 2 years of Fling's being a build up for the WHW race...a pleasure I won't be enjoying this June (aside from as crew), and maybe that puts the head in a different place...who knows.  I was sure enjoying myself though!

Not entirely sure that a wee dram is the optimal running fuel mid race in the heat though...

Photo by Chen / Running in Scotland


I was expecting to see Clark at some point on this stretch too, and got the joy of a wee kiss, and cuddle from Cori dog just before the Beinglas checkpoint.

Photo y Clark Hamilton
Another brilliant reception into Beinglas, and a lovely marshal helping me with all my stuff (thank you whoever you were!).  I topped up with Tailwind and potato scone, and some cheese...but maybe didn't eat enough?  Who knows.   My time was a little down at this point on where I would have liked to be, knowing that these last 12 miles are tough, and usually take the best part of 3 hours, so my quest for a PB was potentially off the cards here.  I was also feeling a bit nauseous at this point, but there was nothing else for it but to march on, and get the headphones in for the first time.  There's a lot of long walkable (walk necessary) content in this section, and even my little chant of 'marginal gains, marginal gains' which had got me shuffling into a run during the first 41 miles, was struggling to gain traction here.  I passed Alan Robertson here...very unusual!
Photo by Clark Hamilton

The cows at Derrydarroch were fine (I walked past them just to be sure), and Sheona skipped past me making it look easy!  Through the low tunnel (thanks Helen and John for all the warning signs this year!) and up the short steep climb.  My legs I think still felt strong, I just felt pukey.  Decided at this point to crack open my (Sainsburys version of) Red Bull and see if glugging some of that down would help...was it fluid/caffeine or sugar I needed??

Carol passed me just before the Bogle Glen gate (I knew she would catch me at somepoint!), gave me some words of encouragement and did a little dance as she skipped on up the hill.  I think I scoffed another bit of Mrs Tilly's at this point...again, head and stomach the stalling factors in getting a better pace on.   March up, shuffle down, march up, shuffle down....and the roller coaster was over.....3 miles....that's all there was to go.....

A wee weeble wobble at the road crossing trying to stand still to let the marshals tell me when the traffic was clear, and a check of the watch I knew that a PB was touch and go, but more likely gone, unless I suddenly had a burst of life.  I tried to not let it mess with my head and just keep going.  The head wind into Auchtertyre never helps with that!

With half a mile to go I had a monumental toe stub and almost ended up in the heather (thanks kind spectator who caught me...oh no, wait, he didn't even try!) but I knew the pipers were just through the gate and round the corner...there was no stopping now!

The finish always makes me cry - a fabulous red carpet finish and hundreds (it seemed) of people cheering and ding, dinging their cowbells just for you.  And a lovely big hug from Julie Clarke at the end!  The photographer missed me (as did Clark since I was late!) and asked me to go back and run in again....I'm in dread of how ridiculous that photo is going to look!

So, my second fastest time, and I think my most enjoyable Fling of the 4 I've done.  I love the WHW, and would run on it every week if I could.

11hrs 47m 39s (ave 13.22min/mile).  About 9 mins slower than last year.
349th out of 673 finishers (I think 700 starters)
58th out of 185 females

Great finish area - from huggers, t-shirts and goody bag givers, beer providers (and a choice of beers!), soup chefs (the tomato was delicious again, thanks Mum and Dad Fling!), ice cream, baked potatoes.....the list is endless!  It was great to see many smiling faces, and friends with trophies, and to hear the course records had been smashed! This was highly expected given the conditions and that the race was the British/Scottish Ultra Trail running championship and there were some incredible elite competitors running!  The organisation is second to none, and with a crew of 180+ volunteers, I think every wish is catered for!

So, two days later...I'm tired, and a bit achy....the sorest part bizarrely is my left forearm.....no idea why (feels a bit like tendonitis and is now taped up), but my right is also a bit sore....  no blisters, no scars, no skint knees....result!

A recovery week now, before Glen Lyon on Saturday (not great timing but I'm not planning to go eyeballs out!), and another day on the sofa today reading race stories, checking photographs and reliving a great day out!

Will I be there next year??  You better believe it!!  I think I thought I might marshal.....but I just bloody love this race so it would be a tough call but either way I'll be there!








2 comments:

  1. Great report and well done! It felt a bit funny not being there this year for my fourth go, but if we're still around then I'll definitely be there next year. Once you've done it, it becomes simply an unmissable race...
    See you at Glen Lyon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great read Amanda and a great run too, well done!
    See you next week, but I won't be running, I'll be the one with high viz and clipboard. Oh, I can feel the power of being a checkpoint chick already. :)

    ReplyDelete