Sunday 2 February 2014

Happy Feet

 
 
WHW training weekend - woohoo!  I'd been looking forward to this for AGES!  There were many times in the last 2 weeks I didn't think I would make it - stuck down with a horrible infection and an extra bout of antibiotics, lots of pain killers, stuff to combat the side effects of anti-biotics and boost the immunity...and the list goes on (rattle, rattle)!  Work has also been pretty hideous, but probably because I wasn't really in a position to take any time off to recover quicker.
 
That aside, I'm pretty darned determined/bloody minded, and the room was booked at The Oak Tree Inn, and I was keen to spend time with new and old friends and enjoy some quality training on WHW.  So, the game was on!
 
I drove over to Balmaha later than expected on Friday, due to a late work challenge I needed to close off to try and clear my head for the weekend.  By the time arrived the bar was buzzing with excited runners, cosying by the fire, sharing tales, beer and good food.  I got a good blether with Johnny Fling, Noanie, John, Helen, JK, Katrina and Karen before calling it a night, ready for a big breakfast and big run the next morning!
 
The day dawned better than expected...less snow, less rain...a wee glimmer of sunrise....although that did all change and we had some bouts of rain and sleet throughout the day, but no real wind or anything *too* taxing...!
Photo from John Kynaston
Karen and I had a pact that we were going to do the 30, even if we were slow, at the back etc etc... And so, it transpired we were at the back...I wouldn't say we were particularly slow...AND, we did go further than a lot of folk in completing the full 30 (not having a dig at anyone here!), so despite this being my first experience of being tailed by the sweeper, I'm ecstatic with my achievements of the day (hence the happy feet!).  Andy O'Grady will understand the other reason for the penguin reference!
 
We settled into a steady pace fairly early on, and did most of the run with Emma H, chatting and running and eating without too much bother.  It was great to see such a great turnout of around 70 runners, and with the out and back we got to see all the fast guys as they headed back from Inversnaid (as were buoyed by the fact they did pass us as soon as we thought!), and we got to chat to various folk as we passed to and fro during the run.  
 
The views weren't too impressive as the weather did close in a bit, but we still enjoyed the fresh air and snow capped peaks when we weren't watching our feet to avoid tripping!  And we made it to Inversnaid without any bother.  We had a wee break, and some good true Scottish ultra runner snacks - Irn Bru (me), sausage roll (Emma) and Topic (Karen), followed by some hand drier action in the hotel to dry off a wee bit!
Sweeper Sean caught us just after we left Inversnaid to head back, but he went on a wee bit and then never 'caught' us again until we were back at Rowardennan.  And he never (really) hassled us once (apart from asking if we'd not rather run on the road (!!??) at the silly wee bit with the knarly trail right on the edge of the road!....he just offered us food, dry clothes and 'friendly' encouragement (even though we laughed when he fell off his bike on the slippy wooden bridge!)
 
We made it back just as the light was failing (no headtorches required!) and found most of the runners safely back in the bar! In all, about 7 hours effort (I forgot to restart my Garmin for a while after Rowardennan on the way back)
 
Emma had to dash off, and Karen and I hit the shower/bath/bed til we heated back up, and then went to the bar for an evening of pizza, drinks and good chat!  Good news was there was no real injuries (aside from Noanie's chin) and, aside from my waterproof jacket needing re-proofed everything else kit wise was working pretty well...I made need to keep that outfit for the race! Nutrition wise...good trial of Ella's baby food and Mrs Tilly's...supplemented with some Sour Cream & Chive Pretzels...did the job pretty well!
 

 
Highlight of the evening had to be Keith Ainslie's rendition of Tam O' Shanter which had everyone in stitches!  I'm hoping Sandra caught it all on video!?
 
Very, very tired today, so decided to head home right after breakfast rather than any running/walking.  Am conscious I've probably still got a wee bit of infection to fight...and I've already got some DOMS starting :-).  A wee bit of sensible head today then!
 
Hopefully this is me back on track...get some good training in this week, not to catch up what's been missed, but to get stronger, fitter and wiser...step by step!
 
Good running, good chat, good times!
 
 
 
 
 


1 comment: