Saturday 22 February 2014

Protection


I quite often think about my blog as I'm running.  I don't necessarily write for anyone else's entertainment (I'm sure quite often what I write is pretty dull), but I'm trying to get down my experiences and what I learn and feel, so maybe when I'm old and senile I might get some pleasure from trawling back my memories.

Today I was thinking about Protection, what that means, and how important it is to many areas of my life.

Protecting the goal

This is the most important thing in my life this year.  Yes, work and Clark are essentials (more about this later), but this event is what it's all about.  I need to be pretty single minded about what I do and how I get there...key to this for me (as I mentioned in my podcast interview this week) is protecting the long weekend runs.  

There'll be no hiding place on June 21st, and as some wise person (John K I think) said, you don't want to be standing on the start line thinking about the training that you could/should/would have done if things had been 'perfect'.  Life ain't perfect, deal with it, do the best you can, and focus on what's important.


Protecting the head

I've said to several people this week that the little hamster on the wheel running around in my head has not only fallen off the wheel, but it's actually died!  I've blogged already about how horrifically busy work has been, and the adrenaline crashed this week, my head has been pounding, and I've been struggling to comprehend simple requests and instructions.  This can't go on.  Simple as that.  I've tried to start instilling a little discipline this week...and (shock horror) actually left work 'on time' a couple of days!  Granted, one of the other days included a missed flight home and an eventual 11:30pm return...you win some, you lose some...but sustaining that just isn't physically or mentally possible long term!

Protecting the stress levels

My friend Paul Waters (who trained me, Dario and Clark in some of our fitness/personal training courses) wrote a great blog this week about Good Stress (Eustress) and Bad Stress (Distress) and how to balance these out, by gaining more eustress in your life, or removing some of the distress (read it here: Balance Weight Loss).  

It's all true, and worth spending time having a read and thinking about what you can do to achieve better balance and ultimately more enjoyment!  I know I will be trying to take this advice on board.

Protecting the rock

Those who know me, will know I'm not really into all that mushy smushy stuff, but that at the centre of my world is my rock.  Without him, none of this would be possible! 

From getting me grounded after (di)stress days, to getting me motivated to get out there and do it, and generally keeping my world turning in a semi-efficient way...it's all down to him!

And I imagine I can be a pretty horrible person to live with sometimes, so all credit to his sanity!  And maybe I should try being a better wife sometimes!



Protecting the immunity

This has suffered a little this week.  Having spent too long on antibiotics, and then offsetting that pumping my body full of anti-antibiotics, and then a few weeks sustaining life on strong coffee and lots of sugar, I'm finding it hard to get back onto the straight and narrow with the healthy eating.  Sugar and caffeine during the week are currently at un-healthy levels, and the coughing and spluttering of others in the office when my immunity levels are clearly low is starting to manifest in sore throats and achy heads.  Once I get through this last week before my holidays I'm getting myself back off the sugar dependencies.  Definitely no room for anymore illness in my training plan!

So, that was the stuff running through my head today while I was running...the things I need to protect, and the things that are protecting me!

And what a lovely run!  Much better than anticipated when we left the house in the pouring rain....actually had to complain about the heat on several occasions!








I tried out some new stuff today:

 - my new Ultimate Direction SJ pack (good...not sure I've mastered the nozzle on the bottles yet), 
- my new OMM Kamleika trousers (good, but I only wore them for 2 miles out of the car as the drizzle stopped and the sun came out), 
- my new GU Salted Caramel Gels (yum...must buy more of these!)

There wasn't much snow left on the higher trails, so the running was good.  Being with PT Boy meant I was actively encouraged to run the hills....and (smug smiley face) I ran some pretty meaty old hills today!  I think even Clark was quietly impressed!

And the pace was pretty good today too at just over 11 min/miles (stats).  Granted the terrain is pretty runable, but I'm pleased with that.  This week is shaping up to be my highest mileage of the year so far...and, touch wood, I think I feel ok!

Tomorrow afternoon I'm going for a well deserved sports massage....all part of a good training plan....other than that, this weekend is all about eat, sleep, run, repeat!

2 comments:

  1. Not dull at all. Glad you're getting back on track and I hope you can achieve better work/life balance - that's a constant challenge x

    ReplyDelete